Having an air compressor handy, especially a portable air compressor can save you on your job site. You never know when you will need an air compressor by your side for your tools, much like your nail guns and other air tools that are powered by air pressure or just for tires if you are a mechanic.
Portable air compressors convert power into the pressured air you use. There are debates over electric air compressors and gas air compressors but gas air compressors are the best bet for any work site as you may not have an outlet for miles.
Most electric air compressors are compact and fit in your car so if you end up with a low or flat tire due to an air leak, you can grab your air compressor, fill up your tire with the compressed air, and go on your way.
However, there are also industrial compressors for frequent use in powering tools on a construction site—this will be our focus in this article.
First, we will talk about the differences between an electric air compressor and a gas air compressor so you can decide which is best for you. Then, we will check out the top five gas air compressors this year and their key qualities.
Should You Purchase an Electric Air Compressor or a Gas Air Compressor
Whether you are looking for a portable compressor and a different model, there are so many different styles of air compressors on the market making it difficult when you go hunting for one. Therefore, we will discuss the differences between gas air compressors and electric air compressors.
Electric air compressors run off electricity so you must have a power source nearby to use them. They are more compact and easier to move and store in your car. They even have the capability to shut off automatically once your tire is filled so it does not over inflate the tire. Electric air compressors are a much cheaper option than the gas air compressors.
A gas air compressor is more durable and runs off fuel instead of electricity. As it runs off gas, it means that it is great for emergencies and for mechanic and construction sites because you do not need an outlet or any power source to run it. However, these air compressors do not start and stop on their own, like the electric air compressors. Gas air compressors are also a much more expensive option and much heavier to haul around.
Top 5 Gas Air Compressors for 2018
- This air compressor is industrial sized so this one is a pricey option. It is the best for garages and businesses.
- It has a reliable 5-horsepower Honda OHC/OHV premium residential gas engine. The engine is easy to start and consumes a low amount of gas during use.
- It has a pontoon styled air tank with 2-gallon tanks for portability. It even has cushioned handles for comfort while carrying.
- It has a max air pressure of 155 PSI for the compressor’s optimum performance.
- It is low maintenance and oil-free. It also has a patented two-piece cooling system that stretches the life of the air compressor.
- This gas air compressor has a portable design. It is lightweight and easy to move since it has a wheelbarrow style to it.
- It has a reliable 5-horsepower Honda engine that is easy and quick to start when needed.
- It has twin air tanks that hold 8 gallons. It also has 2 quick disconnect couplers.
- It has a max air pressure of 135 PSI for the compressor’s optimum performance.
- It has an all season select synthetic lubricant that performs 4x longer than those without lubricant. It is constructed of durable cast iron so it can last for a long time.
- It has an automatic start/stop pressure switch and a manual on and off lever for easy use.
- The cylinder of this gas air compressor is constructed of durable and solid iron that is premium material so it will last for a long time.
- The base plate is an integrated control panel that protects the gauge and regulator but keeps it easy to use. It also has a large oil level sight glass so you can watch the gas level as needed.
- It has pneumatic throttle control that uses air instead of a cable to adjust the throttle.
- It has a flexible braided stainless steel exhaust tube that lowers the chances of damage from hard impacts.
- It has a max air pressure of 145 PSI for the compressor’s optimum performance.
- This gas air compressor has a full cast iron pump for a long life and a V-style cylinder that is designed for cooling. The pump head is constructed of FC35 grade cast iron.
- The floating Swedish steel valves last much longer than your average valves.
- It has built-in wheels and handles so it is easy to move around despite its weight.
- It has a Honda GX160 engine with a low oil shutdown. This engine has greater power output.
- It has a max pressure of 130 SPI for the compressor’s optimum performance.
- This gas air compressor includes a twin cylinder pump with a durable crankcase. The cylinder is made of cast iron making it strong and durable.
- It has a reliable Subaru SP-170 gas engine that is easy and quick to start.
- It has a large center tire that is protected by a bull bar.
- It has a max pressure of 150 SPI for the compressor’s optimum performance.
Gar air compressors are a great choice for any garage or work site. The quality of your air compressor is important. You do not want to skimp and end up with a poor quality air compressor that is made of cheap plastic and cannot take a beating or has low air pressure so you end up taking a year to air up a tire.